At Wallaroo, we recognise the responsibility that we share with our suppliers to buy, produce and sell our products in an ethical manner. Our Ethical Trading Policy is a core element of this commitment to responsible sourcing.
We want our customers to be confident that the people who make our products are treated fairly, with respect for human rights and are not exposed to unsafe working conditions. We believe that when ethical standards are in place, this can improve worker well being, productivity and quality, which benefits both our suppliers and our customers.
As a socially responsible small business our suppliers, local community and customers have a right to expect:
- All workers involved in the production of our products are treated with full consideration to their basic human rights.
- Wallaroo acts in an ethical manner above and beyond basic legal requirements.
- Wallaroo is committed to implementing the principles of the Ethical Trading Initiative Base Code.
Code of Practice
This Code of Practice applies to:
- Suppliers to Wallaroo, who must comply with this code and with all applicable national and international laws, regulations, codes and standards, in the countries where our products are grown, harvested, manufactured, stored and distributed. Where the provisions of law and this Code address the same issue, suppliers should apply whichever provision affords the greater protection.
- Staff directly employed by Wallaroo on temporary or permanent contracts.
- Staff employed or provided by contractors or employment agencies to work on Wallaroo premises or to undertake work for or on behalf of Wallaroo
1. Employment Is Freely Chosen
- No forced, bonded or involuntary labour shall be used.
- Staff are not required to lodge deposits or identity papers with us.
- Staff are free to leave Wallaroo after reasonable notice.
2. Working Conditions Are Safe and Hygienic
- Adequate steps shall be taken to prevent accidents and injury to health arising out of, associated with, or occurring in the course of work by minimising, so far as is reasonably practicable, the causes of hazards inherent in the working environment.
- Staff receive health & safety information.
- Staff have access to toilet facilities and drinking water.
- Wallaroo has a published Health & Safety Policy.
3. Child Labour Shall Not Be Used
- There shall be no recruitment of child labour.
- Children or persons under 16 are not employed at any time, day or night.
- Young persons under 18 shall not be employed at night or in hazardous conditions.
4. Living Wages Are Paid
- Staff pay rates are equal to or above the national legal minimum standards.
- Staff are given information about their employment conditions in respect to wages.
- No deductions are made from wages as a disciplinary measure, and pay slips detailing lawful deductions are provided for each pay period.
- Staff are given clearly understandable written terms and conditions of employment that details the employment relationship and the respective obligations of the employee and employer.
5. Working Hours Are Not Excessive
6. No Discrimination Is Practised
- Staff are not forced to work in excess of 48 hours per week, a voluntary opt out agreement is available for those wishing to work in excess of 48 hours per week.
- There is no discrimination in pay, hiring, compensation, access to training, promotion, and termination of employment or retirement on the grounds of race, nationality, religion, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, union membership or political affiliation.
- Opportunities for personal and career development are equally available to all employees.
7. No Harsh or Inhumane Treatment Is Allowed
- Physical, verbal and sexual threats, abuse, harassment or intimidation is expressly prohibited and grounds for summary dismissal, if proved.
- At a minimum, suppliers, sites and growers must comply with the requirements of all local and international environmental laws and regulations including having necessary permits.